What is it?
Tinnitus (“TIN-a-tus” or “Tin-EYE-tus”) is the medical term for the sensation of hearing sound in your ears or head when no external sound is present.
What it sounds like?
Most people describe it as “ringing in the ears.” But it’s also been described as hissing, buzzing, whistling, roaring, ticking, beeping and even chirping.
What causes it?
- Exposure to loud noises
- Head injuries
- Ear infection
- Medication side effects
Who gets it?
Anyone at any age. In fact, 1 in 6 Americans experiences it. It’s the number one disability for military veterans.
How to prevent it?
Minimizing exposure to loud noises is the best way (either through avoidance or by wearing hearing protection) — though nothing is guaranteed.
Effects of tinnitus
Tinnitus effects people in many different ways, including:
- Long-term sleep disruption
- Changes in cognitive ability
- An inability to concentrate
- Stress in relationships
- Anxiety and depression
- Employment challenges
How to get relief
There is no cure for tinnitus, however there are ways to get relief:
- Counseling and meditation help to distract your mind and train you to cope with tinnitus
- Tinnitus technology products create a customizable and comforting sound stimulus to soothe the unique sounds you hear.
For more information about tinnitus and tinnitus product options ask us how we can help.